RE: Music Notation on the Web

The problems using MusicXML as an interchange format between Finale and
Sibelius are interesting and important (and it's quite likely my bad
experience was using non-current versions), but the real driver - at
least for me - is the issue of publishing music on the Web in a usable
format - and by usable I mean that it can not only be displayed and
printed in a format that is performable if perhaps not entirely perfect,
but it can also be easily imported into software that can be used to
transpose or otherwise modify or prettify the music.  I want to do that
ten or twenty times for every time I want to communicate between Finale
and Sibelius.  Here's the site I use most often to get music:
http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page -- I have yet to get
anything from this site that satisfies those desires.  I am aware that
there are (many?) other sites from which musicians get "real" music -
for example, I brought a printed version of the continuo part for a
vocal duet to some professional musicians - they didn't like my version
and while one was tuning his theorbo (a heck of a cool instrument) the
other one went to some standard site for instrumentalists of that sort
and had a score printed out that they liked before the other guy
finished his tuning.  But they were lucky that we were singing the thing
in the original key - if we'd been up or down a third they would have
been stumped, as far as I know.

I cannot argue the technicalities of MusicXML capabilities - all I know
is that in practice it's not doing the job.  So why not?  What is needed
to get that job done?  I suspect - and I know that this may be
controversial and possibly really wrong - that the 80-20 of that job
could be done by something a lot simpler and easier to use, and that
this would work for literally millions of scores.  Is simplicity and
ease of use a central issue in why the job is, in practice, not getting
done?