RE: Music Notation on the Web

I'm sorry - I didn't really mean that all I care about is pitch and
rhythms.  Music notation carries a ton of other stuff too.  However,
it's not clear to me that subtleties like the exact positioning of a
crescendo wedge are necessary.  I agree that there is meaning in that
positioning, but my instinct is that's going "too far" for a Web display
technique.

I agree with a previous poster that the thing to do is to talk about the
requirements and desires before looking at the solutions.  However, I
have to say that every instinct I have and whatever knowledge I have of
the field - which is obviously much less than that of some of the
posters - tell me that midi and similar solutions are very useful but in
a different field than what I'm interested in.  Perhaps articulating
really clearly why that is so, assuming I'm correct, would be useful.  I
really thought that the exposition two notes down was pretty clear and
convincing, but maybe there's more that could be said.

Incidentally, it is by no means clear to me that ABC is not capable of
handling multi-part polyphonic music.   But again, that's talking about
solutions.