Re: Backplane Agenda for Tuesday, August 19

From: Charles F Wiecha <wiecha@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:01:22 -0400
To: Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>
Cc: "public-xg-app-backplane" <public-xg-app-backplane@w3.org>

Yes, those are XPath variables created as a side effect of the implied
binds generated from the calculate expressions.  The nice thing about them
is the evalution context is one level above what is typical in XForms
calculates -- hence avoiding the need for notation like calculate="../Price
* ../Quantity" which would essentially be a non-starter for HTML4 authors.

Thanks, Charlie

Charles Wiecha
Manager, Multichannel Web Interaction
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
P.O. Box 704
Yorktown Heights, N.Y.  10598
Phone: (914) 784-6180, T/L 863-6180, Cell: (914) 320-2614

         Re: Backplane Agenda for Tuesday, August 19
         Jack Jansen
                      Charles F Wiecha
                                                                08/19/08 09:53 AM

On 18 aug 2008, at 15:50, Charles F Wiecha wrote:

> For further background on point (1) below, here's a link to the
> Simplified
> Syntax topic at the Ubiquity project...Charlie
> http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/wiki/StorySimplifiedSyntax

One question, in the canonical XForms there's a lot of constructs of
the form
             <calculate context=".." value="Price * Quantity" or "$Price *

This doesn't look like XML to me, and also I don't understand where
the $name variable references suddenly come from. At least: I assume
that these are supposed to be the funny XPath VariableReference things
that live in their own namespace, right?
Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack,