Re: ACTION-2213: Draft proposal for loading a file into an instance

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:58:57 +0100
To: public-xformsusers@w3.org, "XForms Users Community Group Issue Tracker" <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Upload is very much like a submission: we just want to get an XML document
(or other suitable format), and put it in an instance somewhere.

What is different:

1. No serialization.
2. There *must* be some dialogue box to request that the document be
loaded, to prevent an XForm snooping where the user doesn't want.

(Because of this similarity, I see no reason why there shouldn't also be a
facility to save an instance to a file.)

So it looks to me like a behaviour of <submission/>:

@resource begins with "file:", and may contain further details as a
suggestion for where to load from/to: resource="file:log.xml";
resource="file:data/saved.xml"
@serialization is ignored when the resource begins with "file:"
@method may be GET, PUT, POST or DELETE.
In all cases a dialogue is initiated to allow the user to change the
location and/or file name, or cancel the interaction.
If the interaction is cancelled, it generates a suitable
xforms-submit-error event.
Similarly if the file doesn't exist (or can't be created for a PUT/POST).
A successful load/write generates a suitable xforms-submit-done event.

We can discuss tomorrow.

Steven