Re: 12.2.1 References to Elements within a repeat Element

Here's my current proposed text. (There are still unresoved questions for
me about the bind element section).

Steven

===<span id="idref-resolve">Resolving ID References</span>===
Due to the run-time expansion of repeated content in XForms, it is
possible that there is more than one run-time occurrence, or zero
occurrences, of an element with a given ID.

The following distinctions are made:
* the element for which an IDREF must be resolved is called the '''source
element''',
* the element bearing the matching ID, if there is one, is called the
'''target element''',
* each run-time occurrence of the source element is called a '''source
object''',
* each run-time occurrence of the target element is called a '''target
object'''.

The source object performs the IDREF resolution, and the result of the
resolution is either null or a target object.

If there is no target element (no element with the required ID),
resolution immediately fails.

If the target element is not repeated that element is identified.

If the target element is repeated additional information is used.

====<span id="idref-resolve-repeat">References to Elements within a repeat
Element</span>====

Within the set of runtime objects containing the source object, if the
target element is further nested in repeats the target object is
identified by the current values of the repeat indexes of those repeats;
if any index is zero, no  object is identified. If the target element is
not further nested in repeats, the single target object is identified.

In these three cases, there is only one possible target object:
  <repeat>
     <repeat>
        target
        source
     </repeat>
  </repeat>

  <repeat>
     target
     <repeat>
        source
     </repeat>
  </repeat>

  target
  <repeat>
     <repeat>
        source
     </repeat>
  </repeat>

In these two cases, the repeat indexes of repeats r2 and r3 determine the
target object:

  <repeat r1>
     source
     <repeat r2>
        <repeat r3>
           target
        </repeat>
     </repeat>
  </repeat>

  <repeat r1>
     source
  </repeat>
  <repeat r2>
     <repeat r3>
        target
     </repeat>
  </repeat>

====<span id="idref-resolve-bind">References to Elements within a bind
Element</span>====

When a source object expresses a binding with a <code>bind</code>
attribute, if the target <code>bind</code> element has one or more
may be a target element that is associated with more than one target bind
object.

If a target <code>bind</code> element is outermost, or if all of its
select only one node, then the target <code>bind</code> only has one
associated bind object, so this is the desired target bind object whose
sequence is used in the source binding. Otherwise, the
[[#in-scope-evaluation-context|in-scope evaluation context]] item of the
source object containing the <code>bind</code> attribute is used to help
select the appropriate target bind object from among those associated with
the target <code>bind</code> element.

 From among the bind objects associated with the target <code>bind</code>
element, if there exists a bind object created with the same in-scope
evaluation context item as the source object, then that bind object is the
desired target bind object. Otherwise, the IDREF resolution produced a
null search result.

==== Failure to Resolve an ID ====

A null resolution for an IDREF is handled differently depending on the
source object:
terminated with no effect
* a <code>submit</code> control does not dispatch
not indicate an existing <code>submission</code> element.
* a function that performs an IDREF search returns an empty result such as
sequence for the <code>instance()</code> function.
* However, an <code>xforms-binding-error</code> occurs if there is a null
search result for the target object indicated by attributes