Re: ACTION-2143: Spec up adding help hint alert and label to the model

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 06:48:51 +0100, Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
wrote:

> A couple of questions/issues:
>
> 1. Shouldn't we allow dynamic HTML (host language) values?
> It seems that right now, the values but be entirely static unless they
> are specified as an attribute.
Currently we allow: (PCDATA|(UI Content))*

Doesn't that cover it?

> 2. "Unless otherwise stated, a control must have a label element or
> attribute, or otherwise be bound to a node that has a label property."
>
> What is the consequence of not doing so?
>
> One issue is that, with a label in the view, you can statically tell
> that the label is missing. (I am not sure that we say what the
> consequence is in the case either, by the >way.)
>
> While with the indirection via a node binding and a MIP, it is not
> possible to know whether the label is missing in all cases without
> actually running the form, and that >condition can change over time, if
> the control binds to a different node, for example.

I'm honestly not sure about whether we really need to say this. I only
included it because it's what the current spec demands, but I'm not sure
it's really that important.
I have forms where I have written things like

      <repeat ref="to-do-list">
      <repeat>

because it was obvious from context what the inputs were for. So I don't
really see why we can't also allow

      <repeat ref="to-do-list">
          <input ref="."/>
      <repeat>

and make it the author's responsibility.

Steven