Re: Get the values of an element and combine them

Well, I agree that the root of the problem is unstructured data, but that
doesn't support the characterization of "negative". A better word would be
realistic.

Constructing actual XML instance data is a way to solve (agreed) ghastly
problem that structured data is in the unstructured character data.

It's just that doing so sometimes involves as little effort as you
depicted, when in a simple test case, but anyone going down this road
should be aware of the additional complexities that they must accommodate
in order to get all the rest of the advertised benefits of XForms,
especially when scaling the technique from test case to production
application.  Trying to create a reusable pattern, or "best practice", out
of this is frustrated by a person's attempt to use the technique in
combination with other aspects of the language in different applications.
It breaks in one way in application A and in another way in application B.
When this happens, it is an indication that more direct language support
is needed, regardless of what we think about the people who designed the
data schema.

In fairness to whomever we characterized as having created a ghastly
design, these things come up all over the place, even other W3C specs. For
example, take a look at xsd:date, or better still xsd:dateTime. In order
to provide a nice control that allows a person to input all the pieces of
that value, cracking that out into instance data is just not a very
scalable approach, especially if you're using these in a repeat that
collects the dates and times of something like expenses, patient intake,
etc.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
IBM Distinguished Engineer & IBM Master Inventor
@johnboyerphd | boyerj@ca.ibm.com