Re: Sub-forms feature

Nick

Sorry if I might get a little bit sarcastic in this mail, I really do
appreciate a lot what you guys at the Forms WG are doing and I'm grateful
for it. But you are writing that your are "scared that everybody in the near
future wants nicely encapsulated sub-forms in XForms ..", sorry, this is
nothing to be scared of but the best thing that could happen!. Just imagine,
everyone want's XForms, people getting excited about XFormsŠ. haven't have
that for quite a while, what a big step forward.

And do we really have to support everything in first place, what's the
problem about having a very small loead-embed feature set (implementors
"must" support) at the beginning (no repeated subforms, no inclusion of
JavaScript / CSS) and other features declared as "should"Š. I think it would
not be the first time this happens.

My experience with load-embed is, that Joern and I tried to solve all
problems regarding load-embed at once and in theory. The result was that we
had to give up for the same reasons you mention here. But a week later we
focused on what we really do need in our projects and left the rest aside
and it worked out great. And as mentioned in my last mail, I have not
written a single XForms application in the last three years without using
load-embed. And the funny things, all these features we had in mind
load-embed should support as well, they were never needed until today, there
was always an elegant workaround. And by the way, utilizing load-embed in
various projects without changing the implementation over more than three
years makes it kind of future proof for me..

I can't say it often enough, for me it's not about if "load-embed" is in the
recommendation or not but about if I do think that XForms is the right
choice to build XML based enterprise(!) applications.

Kind regards

Lars