Re: Spec review, part 1

Hello,

just my 2 cents from our experience with our load embed implementation...
Am 14.06.12 00:38, schrieb John Boyer:
> So I suppose the note telling authors that no special processing occurs
> so don't let IDs clash really means implementation-specific behavior if
> they do.
I'm looking at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/XForms_2.0 and there
is already a note saying:
"Note that the load action performs no special processing of id
attributes; therefore authors should pay careful attention to avoid id
conflicts."

I think this is pretty clear.

However here we hit a limitation regarding id handling - suppose you
want to embed the same form twice. This simply won't work if the
embedded model/group uses specific ids.

I know it's hard and we also haven't come up with a mechanism yet but it
would have been good to at least try to address that issue. Just a guess
- maybe we can add an attribute to load that allows to define a prefix
to be added for every id in the embedded markup. As i said - just a
first guess and surely not elaborate.

> But what does it mean to say that a new model should behave as if it had
> been in the page all along?
> We're well past the phase where the xforms processor initializes all
> models by dispatching xforms-model-construct to them. Wouldn't it be
> better to be explicit and say that any newly embedded model receives
> xforms-model-construct... which begets xforms-model-construct-done,
> which begets xforms-ready?
Yes, i fully agree. Otherwise you loose any real chance to use embedding
for modularization - let me explain: we try to setup our forms so that
they can be used either standalone or embedded. But model init events
are an important part of a form and if these events are not dispatched
during embedding you'll end up with 2 different ways of processing a form.

Back in 2011 Lars Windauer was asked for preparing a spec text for embed
but we did. In the meantime the WG seems to have moved forward so i'm
not sure if that's fully relevant still. Just for reference you can
still find our version here:
https://betterform.de/trac/wiki/loadEmbed

In our version we added the sentence:
"The processor begins initialization by dispatching
xforms-model-construct to each XForms model in the embedded XML content
if any. Processing concludes as described by 4.2 Initialization Events. "

Probably that helps here...