RE: Web of Services for Enterprise Computing W3C workshop report

I skimmed the report and it looks very good to me. It appears to
accurately capture the major points of emphasis made in the workshop.

In particular, I searched for "interoperability" throughout the document
and it came through loud and clear as the major issue for WS-*. I quote:

3.1 Historical challenges and approaches

At the Web Services workshop in 2001, the approach of having a stack of
solutions was appealing and we decided to spin up lots of groups to
build these specifications. We were to build a foundation of protocols
that work within the context of the Web, with the goal of making lots of
things talk to lots of other things. In addition, we wanted to create a
system to support dynamic composability to meet problems as these arose
and to build the corresponding tooling to make all this happen. After
six years, we are half way through the spec stack, and interoperability
has remained elusive. [emphasis added]

4. The way forward

As noted, the greatest challenge is better interoperability among the
specifications currently in play, and so the clear message was to make
work what we have. As one of the participants put it, "Stop writing
specs and start writing code!" [emphasis added]

+1

My personal thanks to Eric, Ken, and Philippe for all of their hard work
(and patience with warring factions <grin>). Good work.

Nick

Administrative Ass't: Melissa.Caesar@gartner.com (770.392.4511)

Phone: +1-781-608-5871

Business Email: nick.gall@gartner.com