Re: ISSUE-237: Augmented Assurance Certificate Elements [wsc-xit]

I agree with this change.

Thanks for noticing the typo (thinko?) Stephen!

          Mez

From:   Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
To:     Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Cc:     Web Security Context Working Group WG <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Date:   02/23/2010 05:30 AM
Subject:        Re: ISSUE-237: Augmented Assurance Certificate Elements
[wsc-xit]
Sent by:        public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org

Stephen Farrell notes that I was sloppy enough to write CN for "Common
Name" instead of C for "Country".  Fixed in the editor's draft; and thanks
to Stephen for noticing.

Tracker wrote:

>> ISSUE-237: Augmented Assurance Certificate Elements [wsc-xit]
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/track/issues/237
>>
>> Raised by: Thomas Roessler
>> On product: wsc-xit
>>
>> During CR, it was observed that:
>> - implementations commonly display O and CN
>> - if O is not present, extended validation certificates are still
recognized (against conformance claim III), and CN is displayed

>> Proposed:
>>
>> - to augment the conformance claim by a statement that identifies "What
broadly accepted practices are considered sufficient for a trust anchor to
be deemed augmented assurance qualified (see 5.1.2 Augmented Assurance
Certificates), and what data elements are deemed assured by those
certificates."
>> - to change conformance claims II and III into the following:
>> "To derive a human-readable subject name from an augmented assurance
certificate, user agents SHOULD use the Subject field's Organization (O)
and Country (CN) attributes. They MUST use information that is subject to
the certificate authority's additional assurances, as documented in the
user agent's conformance statement." (#II and #IIa in the latest editor's
draft)

> Note that the proposed change includes dropping  the previous
conformance claim III, "If the certificate's Subject field does not have
an Organization attribute, then user agents MUST NOT consider the
certificate as an augmented assurance certificate, even if it chains up to
an augmented assurance qualified trust root (5.1.2 Augmented Assurance
Certificates). User agents MAY consider such a certificate as an ordinary
validated certificate."