From:   Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com>
To:     Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Cc:     WSC WG public <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Date:   04/15/2010 04:17 PM
Subject:        Re: ACTION-640: clarification to interaction model?
Sent by:        public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org

And I agreed with Thomas after further reflection.

On Apr 15, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> Mez asked me to summarize what I think we've agreed on.
>
> From Joe:
>
>>> [Definition: A Web page is called *mixed content* if the top-level
>>> resource was retrieved through a strongly TLS protected HTTP
>>> transaction, but some dependent resources were *<change>retrieved
>>> through a weakly protected or unprotected HTTP transaction</change>*]
>
> From myself:
>
>> I'd suggest we say this in 4.1, after the fourth paragraph: "In
>> interactive Web applications, the presentation to the user might also
>> depend on state that is local to the client - be it local storage of
>> structured data, or be it recent interactions with the Web page. The
>> security properties of those data will depend on the security
properties
>> of the client computer itself, and are out of scope for this
specification."

> Joe had suggested additional changes that I disagree with.
>
> --
> Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>
>

> On 13 Apr 2010, at 14:59, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>
>> If we think we have agreement on my proposed changes in the working
group, I'll add them to the spec later this week.

>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Thomas Roessler, W3C <tlr@w3.org>
>>

>> Joe Steele wrote:
>>> Good point. I agree that the current text does not define what is
considered correct behavior when content is not retrieved over HTTP. In
the example you mention where some resources are retrieved over FTP, a
browser could be considered compliant if it reported that website as
TLS-secured.

>>> If I am reading that correctly and we are ok with that interpretation,
I have no further objection.

>>> Joe
>>>
>>> On Apr 9, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>>>
>>> Joe Steele wrote:
>>> The 4.1 proposed text is fine.
>>>
>>> I can see your point on the change to the first two paragraphs, but I
still think something more is needed to narrow the scope. The text in 5.3
refers to "all content" and "all other resources". It does not acknowledge
that some content might not be coming through an HTTP transaction. That is
the root of the problem. We need to remove that "all" qualifier and
replace it with something more narrow. Any suggestions as to what?
Providing some explanatory text elsewhere doesn't seem to solve the
problem.