RE: ACTION-555: Proposed change to petnames

As discussed during today's telecon, I believe it's best to remove the current petname text from the rec document and instead simply include a mention and link to them in some non-normative section of the document. The latest iteration of the normative language doesn't define any constraints that site developers can rely upon when setting up their hostnames and certificates. The current text only serves as a notice that enough members of the WG believe in the utility of petnames and so want to include them in the document. I think it's better to just state that explicitly somwhere in the document rather than create an unreliable specification of what the implementation MAY be. There's a readily available implementation of petnames, with full source code, should a browser vendor be interested in the these details (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/957).

I recommend we remove all references to petnames, other than the current section 8.4:

"8.4 Binding "human readable" names to domain names"
http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/rec/rewrite.html#security-considerations-petnames

The contained link to petnames should be changed from the document internal link to:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2005/HPL-2005-148.html

This email should close out ACTION-650. As a result, I think ACTION-513 and ACTION-528, which were concerned with the current rec text, should be closed as no longer relevant.

--Tyler