ISSUE-133 -- How do our definition of Web Page and the Robustiness section interact?

From: Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:48:24 -0700
To: <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
I am still going over some of the text in the Robustness section with
colleagues here. I don't have a solid recommendation here yet, but I
think we should add a paragraph at the start of the Robustness section
(7.0) which says something like:

Plug-ins or external systems which render Web page content SHOULD follow
the Robustness recommendations and SHOULD NOT interfere with any
recommendations which are a MUST for the user agent.

Also -- for the Web page definition, think it should be generalized a
bit more:

Suggestion --

This specification makes no specific assumption about the content with
which the user interacts, except for one: There is a top-level Web page
that is identified by a URI [RFC3986]. The Web page content is served as
part of a Web interaction. The page's content can be interpreted and
rendered by some combination of the user agent and plug-ins to the user
agent and external systems triggered by the user agent. The page's
behavior might be further determined by scripting, stylesheets, and
other mechanisms.

I will be on the call tomorrow. Hopefully I will have something
interesting to say about the Robustness section as well.

Joe Steele