Re: ACTION-406: Petname burden

Ian, others,

This issue:

Issue #3: "Cognitive burden" as Rachna called it. How many things can
people really remember, and how well will they hold up? E.g. I have 4
pasmark sitesecure images, one for each of my banks. If the wrong one
showed up for a particular bank (e.g. my BoA image showed up for
Vanguard), I don't think I'd notice. If, for my account at my brokerage
(which I rarerly log into) the wrong image showed, I don't think I'd
notice at all. Specifically, I wonder if a "reasonable" petname shows up
(e.g. for Bank of America, if the petname were simply "bank of america",
if anyone would notice that's not _their_ petname... although it may well
be ;-) )

I think this harkens back to the discussion Tyler and I had on this list
last week.  It seems that we're now in the space of different people
having different opinions of what we can reasonably expect users to
remember (and, indeed, whether remembering specifics is even important).

Is there any way to bring more quantitative analysis to this discussion?
Does anyone have a proposal for a test/evaluation/survey/study which would
help us understand whether there is (or not) a cognitive burden and
whether or not it matters?

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530