Re: Discussion of 6.1 for LC June

Thomas Roessler wrote:
> On 2008-03-26 11:12:23 +0000, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>
>> No. IA5String could be used to encode "Example Inc." Can't recall
>> whether that still in use with current certs or not (the specs do
>> encourage CAs to use UTF8, but I'm not sure if they're
>> complying). Essentially I don't think there's any general way to
>> know you've a DNS name in a CN. However, in our context, we can
>> compare against the authority part of the URL the UA just
>> de-referenced. So I'd say that if the authority part of the URL
>> and the CN part of the cert match (exactly, case insensitive,
>> modulo wildcards in the CN value) then you've got a DNS name in
>> the CN. Might need to tweak that to cater for HTTP re-directs and
>> I dunno if use of CNAME DNS RR's could be a glitch or not. I
>> think if we did that we may also be the first ones to write down
>> DNS wildcard matching rules for CN, e.g. would we like www.*.com
>> to be a match for loads of stuff, but that's (IIRC) different
>> from RFC 2818 which deals with wildcard matching for dNSName alt
>> names.
>
> Well, RFC 2818 defines the matching in 3.1, Server Identity:
>
>    If a subjectAltName extension of type dNSName is present, that
>    MUST be used as the identity. Otherwise, the (most specific)
>    Common Name field in the Subject field of the certificate MUST be
>    used. Although the use of the Common Name is existing practice,
>    it is deprecated and Certification Authorities are encouraged to
>    use the dNSName instead.
>
> (Silent on how to distinguish between a useful-for-matching CN from
> a human readable one.)
>
>    Matching is performed using the matching rules specified by
>    [RFC2459].  If more than one identity of a given type is present
>    in the certificate (e.g., more than one dNSName name, a match in
>    any one of the set is considered acceptable.) Names may contain
>    the wildcard character * which is considered to match any single
>    domain name component or component fragment. E.g., *.a.com
>    matches foo.a.com but not bar.foo.a.com. f*.com matches foo.com
>    but not bar.com.
>
> I guess all this suggests that "matches preferred domain name syntax
> with wildcard" is the criterion for non-human-readable CNs, and the
> criteria for OU, L, and O are "is present".

Well, the 2818 text there is unclear about whether/how wildcards
match when in CNs; the last sentence talks about "Names" in the
context of dNSName but says nothing about CN values (which to
a purist, are not "Names" but component(s) thereof;-).

Anyway, I guess whatever browsers actually do is the right thing
to follow with CN wildcards. Do they behave the same or not? If
so, what do they allow? (e.g. "www*.*.com" "w*w.*i*.com" "www.*.*")
This was discussed at the last PKIX meeting where the WG decided
(wrongly IMO) not to further specify this, but to leave it to
some future update to 2818 (and a similar SIP document, and one
for RADIUS/Diameter,...).

S.