Re: Discussion of 6.1 for LC June

On 7-Mar-08, at 8:58 AM, Mary Ellen Zurko wrote:

> We had an excellent discussion of section 6.1 at our last call, but
> didn't quite make it to polling and consensus. Here's the roundup of
> issues as I remember them and some proposals. The minutes are at:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/03/05-wsc-minutes.html#item06

I'm sorry I missed it, and will read the minutes with some interest.
In the meantime, though, just a quick reaction to one bit:

> Issue 6) need to allow for o= not being present
> MUST include the Subject field's Organization attribute

It wasn't clear to me if this was intended to apply only to AA certs,
or to "regular" certs as well, but purely as an FYI, EV certs are
required to have an O field.  Arguably the change makes sense anyhow,
since there may come to pass some other brand of AA cert with
different requirements, but it would surprise me a great deal to find
a cert that had had extensive identity verification and failed to use
the O field.

Obviously, if this text is meant to apply to DV as well, then it makes
more sense, since those certs may well (and in real world cases
sometimes do) have no O field, but I'm not sure we'd be recommending
showing the O field for DV certs anyhow.

Cheers,

Johnathan

---
Johnathan Nightingale