RE: Some studies on the visibility of EV sites.

________________________________

From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 10:09 AM
To: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: Some studies on the visibility of EV sites.

OK, these are vendor studies, but they are much bigger sample sizes and
under field conditions. The Tec-Ed study is an independent study we
comissioned. These are the only studies I am aware of that VeriSign has
commissioned.

I don't think that the small sample size is the real problem in lab
tests. Its the lab itself. I have been using computers for 25 years, I
used a Mac every day at MIT. It has taken me over two weeks to get used
to my MacBook Air and I am still finding things out now.

Nielsen's usability tests seem to me to be exactly right if your
objective is to design something in order to sell it. I was in the Apple
store for a total of about 30 minutes. I did not intend to buy that
particular model going in (I was going to buy a more expensive model but
they didn't have it in stock - thankfully).

But what matters for stopping Internet crime is the long term user
interaction.

http://www.verisign.com/static/040655.pdf
<https://webmail.verisign.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.veris
ign.com/static/040655.pdf>
January 2007, Tec-Ed researched usage and attitudes of 384 online
shoppers

	*	Measured their responses to Web sites with and without
green bars

			*	100% of participants notice whether a
site shows the green EV bar
			*	93% of participants prefer to shop on
sites that show the green bar
			*	97% are likely to share their credit
card information on sites with the green EV bar, as opposed to only 63%
with non-EV sites
			*	77% of participants report that they
would hesitate to shop at a site that previously showed the green EV bar
and no longer does so

DebtHelp: 11% increase in transactions
http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secur
ed_Seal/debthelp.html
<https://webmail.verisign.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.veris
ign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/debthelp
.html>

Overstock: 8.6% decrease in abandoned shopping cart rate
http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secur
ed_Seal/overstock.html
<https://webmail.verisign.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.veris
ign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/overstoc
k.html>

Scribendi: 27% increase in transactions
http://www.verisign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secur
ed_Seal/scribendi.html
<https://webmail.verisign.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.veris
ign.com/Resources/success-stories/SSL_and_VeriSign_Secured_Seal/scribend
i.html>