RE: Is the padlock a page security score?

I agree.

  _____

From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Timothy Hahn
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 11:32 AM
To: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Is the padlock a page security score?

Bill and others,

I agree with your comments just below here.  That the indicator (what I
had called the "score") would just be a "starting place" to go see
additional information is exactly how I was envisioning such a display.
It would be a launch point to learn/see more (if you - the user - wanted
to do so).

On the one hand, I've been very happy to see the wealth of discussion
this chain/question has developed on the mailing list!  On the other,
I've been frustrated that we seem to be very willing to do away with the
notion because we can't be sure that we could make it "rock solid".

I've been envisioning such a "score" as more of a "confidence level" -
as in "given the information seen, this score calculator has a 80%
confidence level in the connection and site you've just landed on".

Further, by allowing a user to pick which "confidence calculator" was
used, they could choose one from someone or something ... or even
written by themselves.  Ok - this would really be getting into a savvy
user, I admit.  But hopefully this gets explains why I think the notion
of a "score" could still work and be useful.  Having such separation
might also help some organizations deal with whether or not they might
be held liable for the scores provided.

One other useful discussion over the past day on this topic is the
aspect of "change in the score from the last time you were here".  I
think this is also quite powerful and shouldn't be overlooked.  A change
in score is perhaps more important to point out than the score itself.
(The "drill down" could then itemize the details on what is different).

I still feel that giving such things in a "simple cue" (with more "drill
down" available) is better than not giving any cues at all.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530