Re: Is the padlock a page security score?

michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would ask the same question about a binary indicator.  The padlock
> does not mean it's safe to enter a credit card.

That is a problem with what the padlock indicates, not with the fact
that it's a binary indicator. There is nothing that we can ever do to
assure that it's "safe" to enter a credit card number - even if we can
verify the identity of the endpoint, and the encryption on the wire, and
that the endpoint has a BBB rating, it's entirely possible that there's
someone who's installed a backdoor to their database system.

cheers,
mike