From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Timothy Hahn
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:40 AM
To: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is the padlock a page security score?

Mez,

I'll toss in my view that the padlock is an example of a page security
score.  In most user agents, this seems to be pretty much "binary" (on or
off) though I think we've heard from some folks that there are some
"embellishments" on their display of the icon which would provide more
gradations based on information received.

On the bright side of such a visible item - it is relatively easy to
describe and for people to grasp the meaning of.

On the down side of the padlock -  ... well, we've had lots of that
discussion on this list already - see the archives.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530