Re: ACTION-376: Rewrite 5.5.3 to be more explicit about history tracking

Jonathan,

Sounds good.  I think for the normative text we should be as explicit as
possible.

Proposed text:

The requirements in this section do not require user agents to store
information about past interactions longer than they otherwise would.
Historical TLS information stored for the purposes of evaluating
changes of security level MAY be expunged from the user agent on the
same schedule as other browsing history information.  Historical TLS
information MUST NOT be expunged prior to other browsing history
information.  For purposes of this requirement, browsing history
information
includes visit logs, bookmarks, and information stored in a user agent
cache.

The one thing I added above (within the blue text) is that I also noted
cache contents in addition to visit logs and bookmarks.

Regards,
Tim Hahn
IBM Distinguished Engineer

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2530

Re: ACTION-376: Rewrite 5.5.3 to be more explicit about history tracking

Hey Tim,

I agree with you here, and it was my thinking as well, that bookmarks
should persist that information.  I guess in a lawyerish reading, you
could argue it was already implied by the current text but I see no reason
not to make it explicit.  How about:

The requirements in this section do not require user agents to store
information about past interactions longer than they otherwise would.
Historical TLS information stored for the purposes of evaluating
changes of security level MAY be expunged from the user agent on the
same schedule as other browsing history information (e.g. visit logs,
bookmarks).  Historical TLS
information MUST NOT be expunged prior to other browsing history
information.

I don't know if a parenthetical (e.g.) is considered appropriate for
normative text, but really I think we just want to cue implementors here.
If you would favour something more direct ("For the purposes of this
requirement, browsing history includes..." I think I'd be fine with any
alternate text you suggested along those lines as well.

Cheers,

Johnathan