Re: Odd/bad sentence in 5.4.1

Actually, you can't tell the difference.  If a certificate has is
beyond its validity period, the CA takes no responsibility to make
status information available; the certificate may even have been
removed from the CRL.

The basic idea of relaxed path validation is actually in the
"Otherwise..." phrase of the same paragraph:

  Otherwise, the fact that a certificate is outside its validity
  period SHOULD be communicated using error signalling of class
  warning (6.4.3 Warning/Caution Messages ).

Maybe that should actually say "at most warning" or "just
notification" or something like that.

The text that Stephen spotted is the flip side: *If* there are
validity checks, then please do them thoroughly and treat expiration
as the hard error.  If you don't do the validity checks, then don't
bother with expiry checks.