Re: ISSUE-130 (Trust Anchors): Trust Anchor Consistency Across Devices? [Techniques]

I know that we (Mozilla) don't charge for inclusion, but I also know
that Netscape did, a decade ago, so it wouldn't surprise me if the
reputations from those days persist.

I agree with Stephen's point though, that CABForum isn't really a great
body to which to punt, here.  It's not a standards-body in the same way
that the w3c or IETF is - it's a consortium of mostly for-profit
companies trying to agree on a set of guidelines for a value-added
product.  We participate strictly because and only so long as we see
value to our users in having that standard in place, I imagine the other
browser vendors have similar sentiments.  We've supported the move to
push the EV guidelines out to a more traditional organization for
standardization precisely because the CABForum isn't really built for that.

Asking them to maintain a list of trust anchors would create a pretty
sizable conflict of interest for them, since it is in their direct
financial interest to keep themselves on it, and their competitors off.
  It might even represent an antitrust issue, actually.

I think a best practice statement that a) reflects the benefits of
considering the existing trust ecosystem, and b) outlines the risks of
diverging heavily from it, is the right way to go.  Because it's not
normative, the precise implementation details don't need to be spec'd
out, nor do we need to point to a list.

Again, at the end of the day, I think having language like this in the
recs is a really good idea, I just don't want to create any railroad
monopolies in the process.  :)