Re: ISSUE-117 (serge): Eliminating Faulty Recommendations [All]

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:14:30 +0100
To: michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com
Cc: ifette@google.com, johnath@mozilla.com, public-wsc-wg@w3.org

On 2007-11-19 17:22:57 -0600, michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com wrote:

> I agree any WSC recommendation which faces resistance from the UA
> community needs serious discussion.

And that, in particular, means discussion with those who resist it.

As a reminder, one of the core points here is coming to some broader
consensus about what we do, as a community.  If parties disagree, we
try to listen and discuss.  If people say "it's not deployable", we
try to understand why, and try to come to a useful compromise.

For my taste, the current discussion is going way too far into a
"WSC WG vs the browser vendors" mode.  That's wrong: The value of
this effort is to have as many of the affected parties as possible
-- browser vendors, users, academics, ... -- at one table, and to
come up with a useful consensus between these parties.

I'd also like to remind everybody that we will have a Candidate
Recommendation at some point.  In that phase, we'll have to show
actual implementation experience.  That is not a criterion that we
can satisfy through mere handwaving that something might be
feasible.