Re: ISSUE-117 (serge): Eliminating Faulty Recommendations [All]

I don't really view the recommendation as ammunition at all. I think that
most likely you have an environment where security is taken seriously, in
which both sides (UX and security) come together to make a reasonable
decision, or you have an environment where security takes a back seat. In
the former, you don't really need to hold up a spec and have "ammo", in the
latter, you're in trouble anyways, and I don't think a brand-new spec
(which, let's face it, is not at all critical path) is going to change
anything.

My personal view is this (and it is only my personal view, feel free to
disagree). I want to see as many browsers fully-adopt as possible. If a
browser is comfortable doing most of the things, and there are only a few
minor holdouts, there may be willingness to give way and conform on those
minor holdout areas, for the sake of being able to claim conformance. If
there is something in the spec that is just not going to happen, for
whatever reason, and a decision is made not to conform, then it makes it
much easier to ignore all the other little things in the spec as well. Use
whatever analogy you want (cracks in glass, faults, whatever), I just feel
that if there is one thing that is going to cause non-conformance, it will
likely spread and cause even more non-conformance.

As for "people won't like it" - this worries me a lot, perhaps even more
than "it won't work". If something drives users away to a less secure UA,
that is like the worst of both worlds. It results in users being less
protected, and if someone says "Adopting WSC-XIT caused a decline in market
share of X in our product" then that certainly doesn't speak well for others
deciding to adopt the rec, and also makes us look like we're out in la-la
land.

If we are told / believe that a part of the recommendation is not likely to
be implemented, then we need to have a really serious discussion about
whether that part should stay in, and what the likely affect on adoption of
the overall proposal is.