From: Ian Fette [mailto:ifette@google.com]
Sent: Tue 13/11/2007 12:14 PM
To: Dan Schutzer
Cc: Serge Egelman; Hallam-Baker, Phillip; W3C WSC Public
Subject: Re: ACTION-335 logotypes and ISSUE-96 discussion

Disagree.

While I don't agree with all of Phil's points, there was one that I definitely agree with that Serge seems to have glossed over. That would be the point about whether you're testing the user over a half-hour in a lab, or a longer (30+ day) field-study in their natural environment. Phil's point was that anything new and disruptive is likely to show a strong effect in the short-term, but over the long-term the effect may be drastically different (including causing people to stop using the product). This is a very good point, and I think that if possible we should aim to do a longer field-study as opposed to a 30m in-lab study.

As for "testing them in a perfect world" - I have no idea why this is a good experiment to run, because we know that we will never be operating in a perfect world. I'm not saying we should test in a world with zero adoption, but rather I'm saying that we should try to figure out (guess) what reasonable adoption is, and test in that world. We already know that there are some sites that are not adopting EV because of the cost model. I'm sure someone is more knowledgeable about the specifics than I, but my understanding is that, for instance, Google could not buy one EV certificate for google.com <http://google.com/>  and use it across all of our numerous servers, rather we would have to pay some increased (large) fee based on number of servers. (Also, does EV support wildcard certs?). Given that, you can come up with a list of companies for which EV would be very expensive and likely not adopted (eBay?), and test with the assumption that those sites won't adopt. What does that do to the overall model?

Finally, I'm extremely concerned about the attitude of "Well, it works in lab studies, so let's mandate it, vendors be damned." I understand the desire not to be seen as being beholden to the desires of browser manufacturers, but on the other hand, I have a very real desire not to be seen as floating around in la-la land, disconnected from reality. If something is going to cause people not to adopt a product, a vendor is not going to implement it, regardless of any mandates from W3C. There is a very real risk of steering ourselves towards irrelevancy. Without getting into too many politics, that's why WHATWG was formed, and provides a good bit of background for the current HTML5 realpolitik. I don't want to see us go the way of XForms 2.

My $0.02 x 3 (== £0.03)