	From: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mary Ellen Zurko
	Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:06 AM
	To: Close, Tyler J.
	Cc: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
	Subject: RE: ISSUE-32: explain dynamic content better

	To help folks who still may not get it, would add to this
proposal (a variant of) the last line of mine, making it:

	"The rendering of a web page composed of only static content has
a completion point, after which the rendered view remains constant until
the user chooses to navigate to another web page. Dynamic content is
anything that changes this interaction or is given additional access to
user agent functions. Java and javascript are two current examples."

	          Mez

	Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l
333-6389)
	Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

"Close, Tyler J." <tyler.close@hp.com>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org

05/09/2007 08:39 PM

<public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
cc
Subject
RE: ISSUE-32: explain dynamic content better

	The text proposed by ISSUE-32 is:
	Dynamic content is whatever the user aagent treats as code, as
opposed to
	data. Java and javascript are the two cannonical examples.
	The difference between code and data is a famously slippery
distinction in computer science. I think we need some other way of
distinguishing dynamic content. I believe the important distinction is
the difference in authority between a static web page and a dynamic web
page. For example, a static web page cannot: change the rendered view
after loading has completed; read the system clock; schedule timeouts;
navigate the browser to a specified URL; navigate backwards or forwards
in the browser history; pop a dialog box; open a new browser window;
close a browser window; etc. Some dynamic content has even greater
authority; for example, an ActiveX control has full authority over the
user's computer.

	I suggest we clarify what we mean by dynamic content with:

	"The rendering of a web page composed of only static content has
a completion point, after which the rendered view remains constant until
the user chooses to navigate to another web page. Dynamic content is
anything that changes this interaction or is given additional access to
user agent functions."

	Tyler