From: "Rachna Dhamija" <rachna.w3c@gmail.com>
To: "Bill Doyle" <wdoyle@mitre.org>
Cc: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:21:18 PM (GMT-0500) America/New_York
Subject: Re: iframe tag attack

On 6/19/07, Doyle, Bill < wdoyle@mitre.org > wrote:

This enterprising company seems to have improved productivity.

New Web Exploit at 10,000 Machines and Growing, Security Company Warns

Seems to be a user agent issue, is this in or out of scope?

If we unpack the attack, this question might be easier to answer:
1) Attacker compromises a web server using malware
2) User visits a legitimate, but compromised, website that includes malicious iframe
3) iframe causes browser to be redirected to a site with malicious javascript
4) malicious javascript detects the browser type and exploits browser vulnerabilities to download code, which then downloads other code (keyloggers, proxy, etc...)

We have ruled 1 out of scope. How about the rest?

I am hoping that we can use our list of attacks (i.e., the threat trees) to come to a better understanding on what is in and out of scope.

Rachna