RE: Page Security Score proposal

Mez et al,

One reason I advocate a numeric score is that it enables the agent to
boil a large complex set of secondary security context & trust
indicators down to a simple analog gauge-style primary indicator
(speedometer, color, thermometer, etc.)  As Tim Hahn eloquently
explained, this type of UI is something that's familiar and intuitive to
end users, and it can have value even if they don't know the particulars
behind the mapping.  Indeed, I feel that detailed secondary SCIs will
never be usable to the average user.

The reason I advocate a standard scoring formula is that it would give
all these primary SCIs the same underlying semantics regardless of how
they look or which agent / version is in use.  I believe this kind of
consistency would be very valuable to end users.

I also suspect the process of developing a weighted scoring formula will
prove a useful exercise for the web security community, because it
forces us to sort through the many pieces of Page Security Info we've
identified and evaluate their relative importance and interactions.  Of
course any straw man formula (including mine) should be tested with real
users & web sites, and fine tuned as needed.

I think there's room for more than one standard.  WSC should put a stake
in the ground to bootstrap the adoption process, while encouraging
innovation from others who may have ideas for improving scoring
algorithms.  I like the page score plug-in concept Stephen Farrell
suggested.

Mike

  _____