RE: ACTION-208: "Site Identifying Images in Chrome"displayrecommendation

I've reviewed the updated entry and greatly appreciate your help
bringing it into conformance with the new template.

My feeling is the two variants of the requirement are for all practical
purposes equivalent:

Variant 1 - Roessler
Web User Agents MUST NOT display bitmaps controlled by Web Content in
areas of the user interface that are intended or commonly used to
communicate trust information to users.

Variant 2 - McCormick
Web User Agents MUST NOT display bitmaps controlled by Web Content in
areas of the user interface that are commonly expected to be under the
control of the user agent.

The reason I think these variants seem equivalent is that a significant
number of users assume any part of the UI controlled by the UA (aka
"chrome") can be relied upon for trust information.  Why would I rely on
trust information presented in one area of chrome (e.g., Location Bar)
but not another (e.g., Bookmark List)?  If some parts of chrome are
truly more trustworthy than others, how is this distinction communicated
to users?

Given my position that these variants are semantically equivalent -- or
at least they would be if we defined trustworthy chrome correctly -- I
submit that Variant 2 is the one WSC should adopt because it avoids the
messy problem of defining trustworthy chrome.

If Variant 1 is adopted, I would strong suggest we define exactly what
is meant by "areas of the UI that are intended or commonly used to
communication trust information".  As presently written I feel it is too
vague and open to subjective interpretation.

Thanks, Mike