Re: Added "Empirical Approach to Understanding Privacy Valuation" to SharedBookmarks on wiki

On 4-Jun-07, at 4:53 PM, Mary Ellen Zurko wrote:

> Thanks Mike.
>

> > I added the following to the Shared Bookmark list [1] on the wiki:
> >
> > http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5685.html
> > An Empirical Approach to Understanding Privacy Valuation, Luc
> Wathieu
> > and Allan Friedman, Harvard Business Review
> >    * Contrary to some research, the chief privacy concern appears
> > based on data use, not data itself.
> >    * There is consumer demand for social control that focuses on
> data
> > use.
>
> Can you give an example of what that means? Is that like "I sure
> wish society would not reward people who make use of my private
> data."? Or something else?

"If someone tells me they're using my data in aggregate, and not
cross-linking it to find out about me specifically, and it turns out
that they're lying and using it to sell my name to companies that
cold-call me, I want them to have broken a law and get fined or go to
jail for it."

> >    * Sophisticated consumers care about economic context and
> indirect
> > economic effects.
>
> Again, can you give an example? Sophisticated consumers are willing
> to give away data for the greater good, economically?

"Only people who really think hard about the value of the private
information data will start asking questions and expecting something
in return based on the fact that the companies are using that data to
make more money; so most people will give it up for free, but some
will expect a benefit in return."

cheers,
mike