Re: Action 180 - Make pass through SharedBookmarks and other material; map testing results to status quo

> 1. Any info on users that still use the padlock to mean security?

Are you referring to the people using the actual padlock or users who
consider any lock icon to indicate security?

> 2. Any info that discusses the lack of consistency in presentation of
> security context and potential impact if it was consistent?

I haven't seen any work specifically on the impact of consistency
with security cues. The closest reference I can think of comes from a
study that used an eye-tracking device (see Gathering Evidence in our
SharedBookmarks).

Results are reported that correlate someone who claimed they checked
for and saw a lock icon for a page to the event of them looking in
the wrong corner for the lock icon. Their data also shows they
reported using a different browser than the one in the study, the
browser they use shows the lock in the left corner, while the browser
in the study had another icon in the left corner.

While this is only one data point, there are also papers in HCI
design principles that push for consistency whenever possible. IMO,
if consistency helps reduce confusion for things like menu design and
other GUIs,  it can't hurt us to strive for consistency in our
recommendations.

- Maritza