Re: Summary of "What is a secure page?" discussion, first draft

From: Maritza Johnson <maritzaj@cs.columbia.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:06:11 -0400
Cc: W3 Work Group <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
To: Bill Doyle <wdoyle@mitre.org>, yngve@opera.com

On May 9, 2007, at 10:49 PM, Doyle, Bill wrote:

> Citi bank has a padlock next to the "sign on" button on an HTTP page.
> Pressing the sign-on button the user is taken to an HTTPs page. Is
> this
> over use of padlock icon?

yes.

I would argue that it's an inappropriate use of a lock because users
would take the presence of _a_ lock as an indicator that the current
login box was secure, not as an indicator that they should click on
the lock to reach the secure page.

Apologies for the very delayed comment, this caught my eye when I was
rereading the 'What is a secure page' thread ...
Maritza