Re: ISSUE-92: P3P and Internet filters

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:09:08 +0100
To: Dan Schutzer <dan.schutzer@fstc.org>
Cc: 'Serge Egelman' <egelman@cs.cmu.edu>, 'Mary Ellen Zurko' <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>, 'Web Security Context WG' <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>

Dan Schutzer wrote:

> The connection as I understand it might lie in concepts such as Safe Web Browsing.

+1 here. If a "safe browsing" concept existed (via the type of macro
language that Tim H was espousing say), then having a way for a site
to say "I'd like you to use profile <mumble> when accessing me, if
that's ok with you" would be good and is directly analagous to P3P
(and might even be expressible using P3P assertions?).

If that statement were also say digitally signed by some authority
(which could include the user herelf if she signed it last time and
kept the signature locally), then things could start to get fairly
interesting. However, some of that seems to be new protocol doesn't it?

S.