Re: Uses for self-signed certificates (Was: Browser security warning)

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:45:10 +0100
To: "Close, Tyler J." <tyler.close@hp.com>
Cc: W3 Work Group <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>

On 2007-01-08 23:13:51 -0600, Close, Tyler J. wrote:

> Self-signed certificates can be supported with excellent
> security. The current browsers just haven't figured it out yet.
> Hopefully we can do something about this before the world of
> appliances is permanently banished from the secure web. Cost
> *matters* for appliances.

This observation is confirmed by the way in which, e.g., my DSL
router uses SSL.  In that case, things get even more interesting by
the observation that the DNS name and IP address of the appliance
are configurable (or autodiscovered).

I think that this is precisely the kind of use case story that we
need to describe in the note.  Tyler, mind turning your
remote-controlled furnance into one?

Cheers,