Re: "Web Security Context" die die die

On 13-Feb-07, at 4:23 PM, Close, Tyler J. wrote:

> As discussed on the telecon today, I've found the name "Web Security
> Context" to be purely an impediment in explaining to people what this
> Working Group is doing. We're going to pick a document title and short
> name soon, so I am starting a thread to pick a better name.

Really? Most people I know have gotten it immediately, and I like the
idea that what we're doing is talking about more than just passwords,
phishing and http-auth, but instead about how we present the user's
entire security picture to them in terms of metaphors, warnings,
allowed/disallowed actions, etc.

> I think a first step is to get the term "user interface" into the
> name.
> This WG is *all* about UI, so let's put that in the name.

It's all about presentation, but I don't think it's all about UI.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs. I'm sensitive about UI definition. :)

> Looking over our draft Note and use cases, it also seems this WG is
> mostly about website authentication to the user, so let's get that
> into
> the name as well. Confidentiality and data integrity can be seen as
> subordinate to authentication, since without authentication their
> meaning is less clear.

Agreed. Although this is just part of the user's security context,
it's arguably the most important part.

> As a first kick at the can, I suggest the name "WAUI: Website
> Authentication User Interface", pronounced "wowie".

Maybe "Presentation of Website Authentication and Security" (PWAS)?

struggling,
mike