Re: "Chrome"

Even though you said "Ah" and "Except" in a few places, I think we agree
on all the points below.  The only difference below is I do include the
Mac menu bar in "window chrome" given I consider it part of the OS
window manager and therefore it meets the definition I provided.

The piece we're missing is the definition of browser.  Here's my proposal...

    browser -- any combination of services that together provide an
    interactive user experience by performing HTTP and HTTPS fetching,
    markup parsing, and output formatting of content to a user.

Given this definition, I'm not sure it matters where which piece is
performing which function.

--Brad