Re: "Chrome"

Brad, et al,

You've mapped the user presentation context to issues of trust in a
nice, succinct manner. Furthermore, your alternative term,
"browser-specific/controlled presentation elements" is a better working
definition for what is more glibly referred to as "chrome."

What needs to be added to this discussion is the need to make it clear
to the user what part of their display is controlled by the browser
(independent of whether or not they trust it), and by the remote web
site. Unfortunately, as we've noted many times, the organization of the
presentation elements has become confused in ways that hamper a user's
ability to differentiate between what the browser put on their screen
vs. the web site or sites. The ability for a web site to over-display
presentation elements controlled by the browser is one source of
problems, but things like "favicons" (or url icons) also confuse the
organization of the display for the user (credit to Phillip for
repeatedly making this point).

It seems that this issue of clarifying to the user what portion of their
display is controlled by what entity is core to usability and user
confidence. It also seems that this continues to the elude the industry
as the clamor for features overrides concerns for the user's ability to
map what's going on. Fundamentally, if average users can't perform this
mapping with confidence, then we'll never win this game of trust.

This issue also iterates to the next level. Your trust chain of "user =>
browser => web site" really extends to multiple "content sites" that
interact in ways that can be [very] confusing to the user. While this
WSC project can, and should, say something about cordoning off the
browser's presentation elements, we should at least think about the
problem of the user trying to discriminate which of the many
presentation elements on their display represent the site they think
they visited, vs. all the other sites that have piggybacked onto this
Web session (e.g., advertisers, in-house promotions).

Before jumping to the conclusion that this is definitely out of scope,
consider that there are many browser "features" (some plugins, some
built-in options) that allow users to block advertisements, pop-ups,
flash animations, and other third-party content. This has the important
advantage to the user of reducing the web page display to just the
elements that truly come from the site identified in the location bar.
Imagine, for a moment, a browser that might offer the user the ability
to gray out all the elements in a web page that are *not* associated
with the site identified in the location bar. Wouldn't this be something
that users would value in terms of improving their confidence?
(Irrespective of what us technologists or the marketing folks might
say?) I don't think it's a stretch to say that the browser options that
allow users to constrain content (e.g., popup blockers) are every bit as
popular as the options that enrich content (e.g., flash). (Aside, how
many users know that there are active, though hidden, controls for a
flash object displayed on their screen, but what these controls can do
is constrained by the content provider? Should such controls be
considered part of somebody's chrome?)

If the ability to manage the content that can be displayed on a screen
is important to users, then this will come back to the more fundamental
browser design issues, such as how such content controls should be
presented to users, and how they know which controls are active at any
time. This will bring us back to the issue of "safe browsing," and how a
user can know that they're actually in the safe browsing mode, and that
the content they see is truly constrained by this mode.

Some browsers and plugins will indicate their current state of operation
in the window "chrome" of a browser (i.e., always visible), while others
hide their state, perhaps in preference settings. Certainly, the lack of
standardization for how these potentially critical indicators are
displayed is one of the challenges confronting users and browser
designers alike.

Which brings me to some questions for which I have not yet seen
definitive answers:

   1. Does the "chrome" include any dialog boxes or other control
      elements used to configure the browser or control the display
      context? What about the alternative term
      "browser-specific/controlled presentation elements"?

   2. What about the menu bar? Here we need to be careful that we don't
      get caught up in the OS wars.

   3. Speaking of the OS wars, should we at least consider the
      relationship of the OS to the browser? After all, the more
      complete trust relationship is User => OS => Browser => Web. Let's
      be real, the interaction between the OS and the browser has been a
      contentious issue of the past, and it's likely to remain so in the
      future. Would we be putting our heads in the sand if we ignore
      this issue? It is the OS that controls the display in the first
      place, and OS vendors already leverage this point of control
      within the browser context to their own advantage, but also to the
      advantage of users.

   4. Should there be standard conventions for how to display the state
      of browser content controls within the default window frame
      "chrome" areas? (e.g., popups currently blocked) Can we keep this
      from leading to another round of toolbar mania?

   5. Can any of this be made understandable to users? Aside, I contend
      that users will make the effort to understand and become facile
      with what matters to them and their browsing experience, but not
      necessarily what browser vendors or Web site content developers
      think should matter to users.

   6. Is there a way to factor out a lot of the confusing knobs, dials,
      and indicators, and get to some simple "idiot-proofed" controls
      (analogous to "idiot lights" on an automobile dashboard). Here's
      where the "safe browsing" mode could come into play--a
      comprehensible mode that eliminates a lot of the clutter, but
      establishes confidence in the user that they can  reasonably
      determine whether or not to trust what's in front of their face.

   7. Where do we draw the distinction between browser controls (whether
      or not within the chrome) and controls associated with other
      content presentation tools within the same Web page? (e.g.,
      Acrobat, Flash, RealMedia, QuickTime, WM.) How would users like
      for these controls to be presented? Should we care?

Apologies for being so long-winded about a mere definition of terms, but
my sense is that the definition of browser chrome is a lot more
complicated than any of the traditional interpretations might indicate.
We may find that retrofitting usability to the current browser/web-site
framework is about as difficult as retrofitting security to an insecure
system. In this case, the issues of security and usability are
completely intertwined, so the analogy is more than apt.

...Chuck
   Chuck Wade, Principal
   Interisle Consulting Group
   +1  508 435-3050  Office