Re: Linking certs

For the case where the certs are valid at the same time, I don't see why
that would be preferable to just having one cert, with the additional
domains in SubjAltName. Unless you don't want to share a private key across
the various sites, but then the question arises of if you're not willing to
share your private key, should I be willing to share my data?

It seems to me like we are getting way beyond the scope of this group, and
personally I don't see the value of what we're discussing in a broader
sense. What matters in the current world of SSL is that the given cert is
valid for the given site. We're talking about all sorts of extensions just
to support an edge case in a new form-filler that may or may not ever see
broad adoption. If, under the best of cases, it does see adoption but the
cert continuity part is left out, what's the worst that can happen? The user
has to re-type their username and password? Given the strict matching of
this mechanism, it seems to me like the user will be re-typing their
information a lot anyways, and so what's one more re-type every two years?

It seems like we're climbing down a giant rathole with no pot-of-gold in
sight...

-Ian

P.s. happy holidays everyone.