Re: Comments on: Access Control for Cross-site Requests

Thanks Tyler. When you're ready you (and Bill, and Hal) should send your
(their) comments directly to them at public-appformats@w3.org.

          Mez

From:
"Close, Tyler J." <tyler.close@hp.com>
To:
"public-wsc-wg@w3.org" <public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Date:
12/05/2007 02:04 PM
Comments on: Access Control for Cross-site Requests

I've got one major comment on this proposal that I think is sufficient to
send it back to the drawing board. I'll delay making more detailed
comments about the proposal until I find out the answer to the major
comment.

A significant portion of the proposal is devoted to specifying a policy
language for determining whether or not a page from a particular "root
URI" should be allowed to issue a cross-domain request to a particular
server. I think the problem can be solved without the server and the
client software agreeing on such a policy language. For example, rather
than have the server specify the rules for cross-domain requests and have
the client enforce these rules, the client should simply send the request
information to the server and have the server enforce its own rules. I see
no advantage to placing this logic in the client, as opposed to the
server. Placing the logic in the client introduces significant complexity
which creates many opportunities for implementation bugs, specification
ambiguity and misunderstanding by web application developers, while
possibly limiting the kinds of policies a server can enforce.

There is also a significant factual error in the document's Introduction:

"""
However, it is not possible to exchange the contents of resources or
manipulate resources "cross-domain".
"""

It *is* possible to manipulate resources "cross-domain". An HTML page can
contain a FORM which submits an HTTP request "cross-domain". Submission of
this request can be automated using Javascript. The Same Origin Policy
only prevents the HTML page from accessing the response to the issued
request. Manipulation is allowed. Only responses are protected, not
requests.

--Tyler

--
[1] "Access Control for Cross-site Requests"
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/>