Re: Measuring and optimizing user effort (Was: PII Editor Bar & Trusted Browser Component)

I still have some concerns. My biggest ones are as follows (with respect to
burden). The biggest one is quite simple - I don't see why the user has to
do a ritual for each field (click in the field, choose the text, click in
the next field, choose their stored pii text). Why can't the entire form be
filled out? Why does the user have to do something for each field?

Secondly, just as something I didn't understand, 2.4.4.3 Imposter Attack on
Plain Scenario, I didn't understand why the login was interrupted at "step
6", i.e. when they hit the password field. Why was it that the username was
able to be filled out properly? (The second paragraph, a more advanced
attack). Are you saying that an attacker gets Alice to enter her username on
a site for some other reason, and then changes that page that she's at to
somehow be a different attack? It wasn't quite clear to me what was
happening here.

Third, with respect to burden, a huge concern of mine was "The PII bar must
be the only form filling feature of the user agent." If someone dislikes PII
bar, finds it burdensome, whatever, and wants to turn it off, I don't see
why a UA should be prevented from doing so. (It sounds like offering a
PII-bar-less version would be against this though). You also say that PII
bar MUST NOT be enabled for exchanges not protected by SSL - does that mean
that the UA can have no form filler for non-ssl pages? Cause that would also
suck :(

-Ian