Re: The purpose of Note use-cases

On 2007-08-29 18:26:22 -0000, Close, Tyler J. wrote:

> I think there is a basic issue of fairness in ensuring that the
> use-cases only describe user decisions, and not tilt the playing
> field toward any particular recommendation proposal by
> presupposing the use of a particular mechanism.

> I think Ian correctly pointed out in today's telecon that one of
> the existing use-cases violates this principle. See:

My reading of today's straw poll is that the general sense of the
group is different from the conclusion that you are deriving from
this principle.

> http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/note/#any-iui-2
>
> In my opinion, this use case is also a duplicate of the user
> decision described in:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/note/#any-iui-1
>
> I propose that to resolve this issue, we delete the first use
> case listed above from the Note, and encourage Ian to submit a
> recommendation proposal that covers the techniques he thinks this
> WG should be investigating.

The notion of (a) dealing with user interactions for reputation
services, and (b) having these reflected in the note and, indeed, in
use-cases goes back at least to February this year.  See, e.g., [1].

This is *far* too late to reopen that particular question.

> I think this resolution clarifies the purpose of the use-cases,
> making the Note better, and gets Ian's topics onto the agenda of
> things being considered for our FPWD. These are the results that
> I think we all want.

Today's call showed pretty clearly that the general sense of the
group is that Ian's use case -- or something close to it -- should
make it into the note.  The question is, therefore, what a
compromise can look like.

In order to come to such a compromise, can you point at what
precisely bothers you, in terms of the existing text, and given that
reputation systems have a long history in the draft?

1. http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/8A794A6D6932D146B2949441ECFC9D6802B4D2A3@msgswbmnmsp17.wellsfargo.com

Thanks,