Different protections for different kinds of spoofing (Was: PII Editor Bar & Trusted Browser Component)

Hi Ian,

I've responded to your points a) and b) respectively in:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wsc-wg/2007Aug/0199.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wsc-wg/2007Aug/0200.html

In this email, I'm responding to your point c).

There are many different kinds of spoofing attacks. The PII bar proposal
text currently explains defenses against at least 4 different kinds.
See:
http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/rec/Overview.html#piieditor-usecases-i
mposter
http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/rec/Overview.html#piieditor-usecases-s
poofing

Different elements of the PII bar proposal compose to defend against
different attacks. In your email quoted below, you seem to be concerned
with a Picture-In-Picture (PIP) spoofing attack, where the PII bar user
interface itself is impersonated by the attack page. The petname display
is not part of the defense against this attack. The petname helps in the
defense mounted against other kinds of spoofing attacks, as documented
in the first URL given above.

The PIP defense offered by the PII bar proposal is documented by the
second URL given above. This text currently says:

"""

Spoofing the PII Bar

Spoofing of the PII bar itself is less of an issue than spoofing of the
URL bar, since a spoofed PII bar does not contain the user's PII text
strings and so may be recognized as a spoof. Alice's attempt to login
using a spoofed PII bar is interrupted in step 6 when she is unable to
select her password from the list of previously submitted text strings.

For robustness against spoofing, the PII bar MUST be displayed using a
theme customized to the user. The user selects this theme at browser
installation time and it remains forever the same. The icon for the
Contacts button MUST also be selected by the user at installation time.

"""

I think there has been some study of customized chrome in the past and
the results were not promising; however, I suspect we can do better. The
Jackson study found that users attached no significance to the new style
chrome in IE7. I hope the PII bar customization will fare better because
it will be chosen by the user. I also think some habituation time will
reinforce the user's expectation that the PII bar should be displayed in
their chosen theme and that something is broken if not. Obviously, we
need to test this though.

--Tyler