Re: ISSUE-96: Should support for logotypes be a SHOULD or a MAY? [Techniques]

On 2007-08-09 12:38:51 -0400, Johnathan Nightingale wrote:

> My opinion, as expressed on the call, is that it should be MAY in
> both cases.  I don't think we should mandate (MUST) or even
> recommend (SHOULD) the use of identity signals which currently
> have no standardized validation methodology.  I think it's
> entirely appropriate and worthwhile, however, to call logotype
> support to the attention of would-be implementors, should they
> elect to use it (MAY).

The counter-argument would be that, for a lot of other information
in certificates, there isn't that good "standardized" validation
technology, either, and that the only thing thate actually matters
is that some CA is willing to vouch for whatever statement is made.

> Is this the straw poll Mez wanted?

Not necessarily. ;-)

I simply entered the open questions as issues, as I had indicated
toward the end of the call, to keep track of them.