Re: Shared Public Knowledge

Side comment - on your preventing MitM comment - anyone know of
technologies or other work out there? It would be worth pointing to in our
Futures section of the wiki.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

Chuck Wade <Chuck@Interisle.net>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
04/14/2007 11:44 AM

Mary Ellen Zurko <Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
cc
public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject
Re: Shared Public Knowledge

Mez,

The "last login" message is useful as both a means for confirming site
authenticity to the user as well as letting a user detect unauthorized use
of their account. This convention goes way back to some of the earliest
time-sharing systems, and was originally motivated by the desire to detect
misuse of expensive computing resources. Later, it became an indirect way
to confirm site authenticity, since an impostor generally has no way of
knowing the last time someone logged into an account.

However, this is again only effective if users pay attention to the "last
login" message. Bank of America and many other financial sites do use this
technique, though it is independent of other authentication measures, such
as SiteKey. The key point, though, is that real world authentication
depends on lots of contextual clues that observant participants can use
throughout the course of a dialogue. Many financial institutions now
monitor many aspects of the communications channel with a user along with
user behavior to determine if there are reasons to suspect improper
access. However, users do not have similar resources at their disposal to
analyze the sites they communicate with.

Of course, most users probably ignore contextual information, such as a
"last login" message. At the same time, this is a no-cost option, and it
does get used in some situations that are important to financial
institutions. Since a high percentage of the fraud that takes place today
is perpetrated by "friends and family," the "last login" clue will be used
by someone who suspects that a friend or family member is accessing their
account without permission. In other words, it's a clue people use when
they have reason to suspect a problem.

Similarly, if someone suspects that they might have just logged into a
bogus Web site, they might look at the "last login" message to confirm
their suspicion, or to restore confidence so that they can proceed. I
doubt if anyone has studied the effectiveness of this measure, but it
probably helps in a small percentage of cases. Again, it's a no-cost
option, so it delivers a high benefit/cost ratio, even for small benefits.

It is also worth noting that legitimate sites that have a prior
relationship with a user tend to present a lot of context to the user that
helps them establish confidence in the site. If I access my bank accounts
online, I will quickly see a bunch of indicators that could only have come
from my bank, such as balances and the arrangement of account information.
Similarly, good practices among online retailers involve demonstrating to
the customer that they have been recognized, and presenting lots of
information that is really unique to that customer (e.g., recently viewed
items, order status).

Now, if you'll forgive the tangential observation, I think it is helpful
to recognize that human beings are complex entities that survive through a
variety of trained responses to an extremely broad array of contextual
clues. Sure, simple interfaces are best, but finding one set of indicators
that will work for all users in all transactional settings is a very
difficult problem. An alternative approach is to provide a broader set of
indicators more tightly integrated into the context of the interaction as
a way to trigger both positive and negative confidence assessments on the
part of real human users and their robust pattern matching abilities. We
recognize who we're dealing with when interacting with other people
through an amazingly complex set of pattern matching operations that
process enormous amounts of input data through multiple sensory channels.
The problem with the cyber world is that digital patterns really are all
the same. However, by introducing contextual clues that vary from
circumstance to circumstance, we may re-enable human abilities to detect
patterns that are either consistent or inconsistent with our expectations.
Perhaps this is an alternative approach to user interface design that
could lead to more effective user determination of site authenticity.

The real challenges, though, come back to Man-in-the-Middle attacks and
purloining of userids and passwords by bogus sites. Where we most need
purely technical counter measures is in detecting and preventing MitM
attacks. However, if a user can quickly detect that something is wrong
when they land on a bogus site, then there is both greater likelihood that
corrective actions can be taken in a timely manner, and that the bogus
site will be blocked or taken off line. Ultimately, adequate security and
safety require on a "defense in depth" strategy that employs many
complementary measures. We just need to find ways to better engage the
survival skills that we human beings have evolved over eons as part of the
solution.

...Chuck
_____________________________
   Chuck Wade, Principal
   Interisle Consulting Group
   +1  508 435-3050  Office
   +1  508 277-6439  Mobile
   www.interisle.net

Mary Ellen Zurko wrote:

I disagree, and if it makes sense as a site to user antipattern (and I
sense the jury still out on that), if there is concensus, we can say
something appropriate about what, if anything, should be implied for the
other direction (and the going in position from me would be, nothing
should be implied for the other direction).

What things other than SiteKey use information (secret, public, or shared
public) to (attempt to) authenticate the site to the use? Anyone have more
examples? Thanks Chuck for the Sitekey one. And Chuck, is the last login
time _really_ meant to authenticate the site to the user? I thought it was
to give the user a hint if the account had been unknowingly used by
someone else.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

<michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com>
04/12/2007 07:34 PM

<Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
cc
<public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Shared Public Knowledge

Thanks for this clarification.  But my concern is if W3C declares SPK
based site-to-user authentication to be an anti pattern, that certainly
implies it should never be used in the other direction either.