From: Mary Ellen Zurko [mailto:Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:53 PM
To: McCormick, Mike
Cc: public-wsc-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Shared Public Knowledge

I disagree, and if it makes sense as a site to user antipattern (and I sense the jury still out on that), if there is concensus, we can say something appropriate about what, if anything, should be implied for the other direction (and the going in position from me would be, nothing should be implied for the other direction).

What things other than SiteKey use information (secret, public, or shared public) to (attempt to) authenticate the site to the use? Anyone have more examples? Thanks Chuck for the Sitekey one. And Chuck, is the last login time _really_ meant to authenticate the site to the user? I thought it was to give the user a hint if the account had been unknowingly used by someone else.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

<michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com>

04/12/2007 07:34 PM

<Mary_Ellen_Zurko@notesdev.ibm.com>
cc
<public-wsc-wg@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Shared Public Knowledge

Thanks for this clarification.  But my concern is if W3C declares SPK based site-to-user authentication to be an anti pattern, that certainly implies it should never be used in the other direction either.

  _____