Re: Available security information section clarification

How interesting. This begins to get us into the realm of what I'd call
secondary security context information. Not the information that's
available in the protocols and pages whose job is (at least partly) to
communicate security context, or the information that provides some
security context that users can understand, but information that is
manipulated to attack the tools that are trying to create or display
security context information.

          Mez

Mary Ellen Zurko, STSM, IBM Lotus CTO Office       (t/l 333-6389)
Lotus/WPLC Security Strategy and Patent Innovation Architect

Serge Egelman <egelman@cs.cmu.edu>
Sent by: public-wsc-wg-request@w3.org
04/09/2007 09:44 AM

"Close, Tyler J." <tyler.close@hp.com>, public-wsc-wg@w3.org
cc

Subject
Re: Available security information section clarification

There's another attack that has to do with whether the page has finished
rendering:

A lot of anti-phishing tools won't examine the page until it has
completed rendering.  This leads to an attack where the phisher can
include code to force the page to take an infinite time to load, thus
causing the indicator to fail.  I wrote about this here:
http://lorrie.cranor.org/pubs/toolbars.html

serge

--
/*
PhD Candidate

Legislative Concerns Chair
National Association of Graduate-Professional Students
*/