RE: Greetings

The term 'frustrated by the various "artifacts"' reminded me that there
is another important issue here, the insecure clutter that is getting
stuffed into browsers without thought for the security issues.

For example, favicons have been spreading quickly. But there is no bar
to having a favicon that looks like a padlock icon. It is pretty easy to
create a favicon that makes a page appear to use SSL.

We need to have a clear distinction between control and data. Users
should be able to trust the browser to display content in the content
window and restrict the chrome area to data that is trustworthy.

For years people have been telling me that 'users want' flash
animations, etc. that can make whatever use of the user's screen they
choose. Now the same people tell me to use Firefox pretty much because
of what it does not allow.

The control bar on my broswer belongs to me, it should not be possible
for a content provider to disable it.

We have a 'stop downloading' button. Why can't I click that to stop the
execution of Javascript &ct. on a page?

Clearly it will take time to get from where we are to where we want to
be. But it would be nice if there was at least a clickbox that would
enable a single comprehensive set of browser configurations that is
secure and repeatable. Ad hoc constraints on javascript are creating as
much of a problem as the early spam filters that kicked out 10% false
positive. If the set of capabilities was predictable and detectable
content providers would be much better off.