RE: ACTION-4 contact/capture use case

I think we need to break these out as a hierarchy.

There are indeed passive phishing attacks obscurantists refer to them as 'lobster pot phishing'. From the context point of view there are important differences since these sites tend to be up for much longer lengths of time but with significantly lower returns.

Another variety of this scheme is when a Domain name gets snapped up by a squatter after a company has failed. There was a company selling parts for MGBs where this essentially happened.

Phishing gangs prefer email and push technology because they do not require the target to initiate contact. They can reach millions without any prior contact.

So we should probably state the abstract phishing case and then break out email/Web as being a prefered attack modality. We should probably also note that there is an email/VOIP attack modality that is increasing in frequency that is (currently) out of scope.

I think that when we are declaring scope here we should work from the assumption that we succeed with phase one of the project and provide useful context ideas for HTTP/HTML and that based on that success it is likely that a followon project will look at extending the same set of concepts to other modalities such as SMTP, VOIP etc. This has the added benefit that by that time DKIM will hopefully have their base specification accepted as a standard and we can propose ways to work off that foundation.

Clearly Email is going to need to be cleaned up. Even if the statement that comes out of W3C is as simple as 'don't execute arbitrary javascript in HTML emails from unknown sources' thats useful. But we have to do HTTP/HTML before we can cast the net wider.

The importance of these use cases is that they are the interface from one form of communication to another.

When we surf from one Web site to another we do not lose the context information due to the application program handover in the same way that we do jumping from Email to Web.

But this does highlight an important opportunity here. Perhaps a piece of metadata that allows a WebMail site or a blog with comments to tell the browser 'these links should not be considered as being within my trust domain caveat emptor'. So in the case that a browser has good anti-phishing built in it can know that it should be using them in this case.

This information would also be useful to search engines.